Saturday, April 3, 2010

Edinburgh, Scotland

Written on Thursday April 1, 2010

I’m currently on a bus from Edinburgh to London. I’ve been sitting in the same seat for 9 hours and we’ve stopped for 2 bathroom breaks. I haven’t eaten any real meals, just snacking on chips so I’m feeling pretty gross and hungry. I started and finished reading The Last Song but Nicholas Sparks. I loved it. We should be getting to London in about an hour.

For the past two days I was in Edinburgh, Scotland. It’s a really neat city because it still has a very old look to it but there’s a lot to do.

It was snowing when our plane landed Tuesday night and it continued to snow until Wednesday afternoon when it turned into rain. We packed as much as we could into Wednesday since it was our only full day in the city even though it was freezing.

When we first got up we enjoyed an incredible hotel breakfast. To those of you who experience an “American” breakfast daily, this breakfast wouldn’t have seemed too extraordinary but since I’ve become accustomed to a couple slices of bread with spreads, I was thrilled to see pancakes.

After enjoying a delicious meal, we walked to the Edinburgh castle. We didn’t go in, but it was still pretty from the outside. After seeing the castle we walked around to many different shops. I saw more plaid than I ever thought possible.

We went to a park on Calton Hill when there was a great view of the city and the lake.

We ate lunch at a place that served 3 course meals for 8pounds. I kind of figured the food would be gross since you usually get what you pay for, but I was pleasantly surprised. I got mushroom soup, a warm chicken sandwich, and chocolate ice cream.

After lunch we went in a museum (I don’t even know what it’s called, all art looks the same to me these days) and we went to the Scottish National Library.

Jenn was given a box of cookies at one of the stores we went in, so we decided to give them to two homeless men and their “singing” dog. They insisted upon shaking our hands and one of them looked at my ring and told me my fiancé is cheap. Offended, I told him I’m not engaged. We quickly left and washed our hands.

At night we walked around the University of Edinburgh and listened to live music at a pub.

I would love to get off this bus now. The girl behind me keeps pulling my hair and it’s making me feel sick to type while the bus is moving so I’m going to stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment