Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Roma!

I spent this past weekend with Hannah in Rome! We had a late flight on Friday and and early flight on Sunday so we were really only in Rome for one day. It was a little rushed but definitely worth it. The weather on Saturday was perfect! It was close to 60 degrees and very sunny, which is heavenly compared to today in Lux where the temperature is a mere 28 degrees.
We woke up early on Saturday and went to the Vatican first. We went in St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museum. Both places had some art that I've learned about in my art history class. The Vatican wasn't exactly what I was expected it to be but it was still cool to see it.
After the Vatican we went to the Trevi Fountain where you're supposed to wish for true love. You put a coin in your right hand and throw it into the fountain over your left shoulder. Apparently it guarantees you'll find true love. I did it twice to secure results, obviously. We actually saw the fountain the night before and then went back to the fountain Saturday night. I'd say it was one of my favorite places in Rome.
When we left the fountain, we went to the Spanish Steps where we met up with Amy Wheaton. It's nice to see people from home while in Europe! The steps pretty much looked like normal steps but there was a nice view from the top. We got lunch together and ate it at the Trevi Fountain. From there we went to the fountain that's in Angels and Demons....I'm not sure what it's called. We also went to the Parthenon and saw where Raphael is buried.
One of my favorite places we went was the church at Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta, which has a door with a keyhole that frames St. Peter's Basilica. The view is gorgeous! It's surrounded by several gardens with orange and lemon trees so we walked through those as well. From there we walked to the Coliseum. It seemed almost unreal to actually see it in real life. We didn't get to go in, so I now have an excuse to go back to Rome.
We walked around, did some shopping, ate dinner at a small italian place where I got tortellini, got gelato, then headed back to the Trevi Fountain. FYI the gelato in Rome isn't as good as the gelato in Florence. The Trevi Fountain was an interesting place for people watching, which we did a lot of.
Sorry this isn't a very detailed post. If you want to know more, just ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment