Wednesday, January 6, 2010

And so it begins...

Hannah and I boarded our plane in Columbus on Tuesday around 6pm. We sat on the runway for ah hour and a half as the plane got deiced over and over again. When we landed in Philadelphia we had 15 minutes to catch our connecting flight to Amsterdam and we passed a sign that that it would be 20 minutes to walk to our gate. I figured we wouldn't make it, but we ended up being the lase two people who boarded the plane. By the time we got on, there was no room to store our carry-ons in the overhead bins so they stayed shoved under our legs the whole trip. I only slept for 30 or so minutes but the plane ride seemed to go surprisingly fast. The one time I did doze off, I woke up to someone screaming "NO! NO! NO!"- naturally I thought the plane was being hijacked. Turns out it was some kid having a bad dream.
We got to Amsterdam at 10:30am European time, 4:30am Ohio time. Of course we decided it would be a good time for a McDonald's lunch. Little fyi, chicken nuggets don't taste the same in Europe. I'm thinking they probably use better meat-not so sure I appreciate them. Also, they charge you for ketchup. The rest of Amsterdam was pretty uneventful.
We got to Lux at 6pm and our host mom, Danie, picked us up at the airport. She and her family are really nice. The rest of the family includes Carlo (host dad), Pitt (13), Max (10), Sam (3) and Lynn (1). All of the kids are adorable. Carlo and Danie cooked us dinner. We ate quiche which doesn't sound like something I would like but it was actually pretty tasty. We spent the rest of the night unpacking and organizing our room. Hannah, Jenn, and I live on the third floor, sharing a bathroom and bedroom. The house is really nice and our room is very cozy. Our host family has really taken the extra steps to make us feel at home.
I'm exhausted so I'm going to be now. Tomorrow we're going to the chateau and touring the city. Tell you more later. It's only 5:10pm at home...never thought I could be tired this early.

No comments:

Post a Comment