Sunday, January 10, 2010

Medieval Castle and a Winery

Last night I tried to upload pictures for over 2 hours but the connection was slow and it never finished uploading so I'll try again today. Hopefully you'll be able to see those soon. They're pretty much all scenery and I know you'd rather see pictures with people in them but I haven't taken many of those so you'll just have to wait and be happy with scenery for now.
Yesterday was our last day of orientation (YAY!) so that means no more strange lectures. When our lectures were finished we broke up into groups and my group went to see a Medieval castle. It was beautiful! Hopefully you'll be seeing those pictures on facebook very soon. The castle was high up on a mountain/hill so the view from the top was also beautiful. However, if there was a fire in the castle I'm pretty sure everyone would die because 1. it was huge and had confusing winding hallways, 2. there were a very limited number of exits, and 3. the majority of the building is made of wood. Anyway, that's just a side note. One of the neat things about the view from the top is that you could see that the city is still being built around the castle's moat.
After we left the castle, we took an hour bus ride to a winery. Yes, everyone fell asleep on the bus again. The winery was the biggest and oldest in Europe (I believe that's what the man in charge told us) They make mostly white wine because in Luxembourg only 9% of the wine is red. Apparently the climate is better for white wine. We went on a long, cold tour of the wine cellar but it was interesting to see the whole wine making process. I didn't realize how much work and precision goes into making one bottle of wine. At the end we had a taste of some kind of white wine and some kind of sparking wine. Both were very good. I thought about buying a bottle and bringing it home for the parents (you're welcome mom and dad) but I realized I won't be able to carry it on and it'll probably break in my suitcase. So, if you'd like some European wine, help me come up with a returning home plan and it'll be all yours.
I ate dinner in LUX city with some people I just met....not even sure I know their names (Oops). But I know they go to Miami and are in the MUDEC program. Our dinner was actually really gross. We ate Kabobs which is basically a gyro if you've ever been to the gyro shop in Columbus. I don't like gyros therefore I didn't like kabobs. I of couse got the Kabob American which from the picture looked like a humburger and fries in a wrap but when the server brought it to me I was unpleasantly surprised. I probably should have been weary of the food, the restaurant was called "Snack Istanbul". Not exactly my cup of tea, but you have to give me props for trying it.
When I got home I got to skye with Jacquie and Jared and then my host family invited Hannah, Jenn, and I for tea. Tea quickly turned into ice cream when they found out none of us are too fond of tea. I was happy about the switch. It was delicious ice cream. I slept in this morning (obviously a plus) and I'm about to go eat lunch.
A Bientôt

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I made the blog! :)
    the only way i can post this is anonymously so its from your favorite..jacq. Duh.

    ReplyDelete