Sunday, January 17, 2010

Belgium: Part 1.

I planned on blogging everyday, but as you can see it hasn't exactly happened. I started so strong and fell hard. I'll try to be better this week.
Last time I blogged, I was about to have bible study. Study went really well! There were about 15 people there which is a lot considering there are only 130 people in the MUDEC program. We're studying Joshua for now, so that should be good. We are planning on having study every Tuesday night, so I'll let you know how that goes.
The rest of the school week went well. Classes seem really long and pretty boring, but I'm hoping they'll pick up as time goes on. In 2.5 weeks I'll be in Italy for my Art History class trip. It still hasn't sunk in that I'm in Europe yet, I'm counting on Italy to make it feel real.
This weekend I want to Bruges and Brussels. The school planned the trip for Friday and Saturday so we took buses to Bruges on Friday. They planned for us to stop at a brewery along the way and I assumed we would get a tour and then a taste but basically I was wrong. We went in and sat down, the brewery owners brought us beer, practically forced us to drink it, then we left. They gave us 3 different types. The first was white beer which was actually pretty good and the other two were thicker which I didn't really like. The brewery is really new and the owner just created her own brand of beer that is made with herbs so it doesn't cause headaches. Interesting fact.
When we left the Brewery, we got on the bus and drove an hour to Bruges. I stayed in a hostel room with Jenn. The hostel wasn't too bad. It was pretty much what I expected a hostel to be. I didn't get bed bugs, so I'm happy. At night, we went out to eat, and then went to some random pub. When we got back to the Hostel, the hostel worker (who is from the US and only a couple years older) took a big group of us to one of his favorite pubs. It was pretty much just like all the other pubs in Europe. I hate the fact that it's legal to smoke pretty much anywhere here. No matter where I go, I always leave smelling like an ash tray. I took a shower tonight and my hair still smells.
The next morning, we took a walking tour of Bruges. It's a very cute place. There are lots of cobblestone roads and buildings inspired by medieval times. I'll put pictures on facebook soon. It was frigid out that made the tour slightly painful but it was still fun. Remember in my last post when I said we were going to tour a chocolate factory? Lies. We walked in to two chocolate factories and had a taste of a small piece, but there was no tour. It wasn't what I was expecting.
Before leaving Bruges, we ate the most delicious Belgian Waffles with warm chocolate syrup and powdered sugar. Probably one of my favorite foods. Then we walked around a little bit more, window shopped, then headed back to the buses.
I'm very tired so I'm going to go to bed, and I'll post about Brussels tomorrow. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment