Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Brussels and the Beginning of the Week

On Saturday afternoon, we left Bruges and took a bus to Brussels. Hannah, Jenn, and I checked into The Moon Hotel. It sounds like a pretty sketch place but it was actually pretty decent. Definitely better than our hostel the night before, and I didn't get bed bugs so I'm happy. We spent the rest of the night on Saturday walking around Brussels, visiting different monuments. Brussels has one main square called "The Grand Place" that is absolutely beautiful. All the buildings were made with tons and tons of details during the Medieval period. I took lots of pictures so I will put those of facebook ASAP.
Brussels is known for their statue of a peeing boy. People come from all around the world to see it so I was expecting it to be some phenomenal piece of art but I was totally wrong. It's literally maybe 2 feet tall. When I saw a crowd gathering around it, I thought it was a joke. I'm not really sure how it become so famous.
Friday night we ate dinner at some overpriced restaurant that tricked us into thinking we were getting a deal. We walked down a street that was really narrow and had probably 20 restaurants on it. Since there's so much competition, the restaurants have trouble filling their dining rooms so they have workers who stand outside and try to lure you inside. They brought down the price of our meal and gave us a free drink but the food wasn't very good. I had chicken for the first time since I've been here though.
At night all the Miami students went to Delirium Cafe.It's one of the bigger pubs in Brussels. It's fun going places with a bunch of Miami people but I'd rather only travel in smaller groups because it makes things a lot easier.
On Sunday morning we toured around Brussels some more, ate another Belgian waffle, and headed home. The train ride was 3 hours but it actually went really fast. When we got home we ate Chinese with our host family. Chinese food is a little bit different in Europe (the rice is a lot smaller) but it was very tasty. At night I skyped with my Parents for awhile. It was really good to talk with them.
On Monday I had Art History, International Studies, and French. All of my classes are becoming more interesting. After class I had to go to the doctor as part of the process of registering with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It was incredibly awkward and luckily only lasted 10 minutes. Hannah, Luke and I got out of the doctor 3 minutes before out train was due to arrive so we decided to run to try to catch it. This involved us running down an alley we assumed was a shortcut only to find out it was a dead end. So, we jumped over the wall ("them tains, they don't wait") which was higher that I originally thought. By the time we got to the station, Hannah and I could barely breath, but we made it.
At night, we went to a Philharmonic concert in LUX city. I honestly usually don't enjoy concert but this one was pretty good. They had a guest percussionist who made unique sounds with his instruments. He was my favorite. If you were wondering they don't do standing ovations in Europe. At least not in Luxembourg. Instead, they just clap forever. We honestly clapped for 10 minutes. And the main violinist kept leaving the stage and coming back for more applause. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment