Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Day with Our Host Family

This morning we were able to sleep in since orientation is finished and classes don't start until Monday. We told Carlo and Danie that if we weren't up by 10 they could send the kids in to wake us up for breakfast. Mistake. Pitt and Sam came in and tried their best to get us up. They used the scream-loud-shake-the-sleeper-rip-the-covers-off tactic. It worked on Hannah and Jenn, but not me. I slept through breakfast and got up at 11.
Later in the day Pitt, Max, Sam, Lynn, Hannah, Jenn, and I went sledding. There isn't even an inch of snow on the ground so sledding didn't work too well but it was still fun.
After sledding, Carlo, Jenn, and I went to see Avatar. I was pleasantly surprised. I actually really liked it. The only bad part was that the movie was in English with German and French subtitles so when the Na'vi spoke in their native language the only subtitles we had were in French and German. In the US that part would have had English subtitles. I understood the gist of what they were saying because I picked up on some of the French, but I want to watch it again in English.
Something strange about the bathroom at the movie theater was that there is awkwardly a window from the women's bathroom to the men's bathroom. When I walked out from where the stalls were to go wash my hands, I looked into what I thought was a full length mirror and saw Carlo. Naturally I had a slight panic as I wondered if I was accidentally in the men's restroom. I mean it is Europe, the signs are different, I could have gotten confused? Anyway, I did a double take and realized it was actually a window into the men's restroom. Weird? Yes, I should say so.
On that note, classes start tomorrow so it's time for me to go to bed. Over and out.

3 comments: